The Houdini Box
Unit 4.1 (BL 5.0)
Unit 4.1 The Houdini Box genre: Historical fiction
|Words to know-definitions:
- appeared: came into sight; was seen. The boy appeared in the doorway.
- bustling: being nosily busy and in a hurry. The students were bustling into the classroom.
- crumbled: fell into pieces; decayed
- escape: to get out and away, get free
- magician: person who entertains by creating illusions
- monument: something set up to honor a person or an event
- vanished: disappeared, especially suddenly
In contractions, an apostrophe replaces omitted letters; do not becomes don’t; there is becomes there’s.
Students will compare and contrast paragraphs; they will also examine plot and character.
|Grammar tie ins:
singular and plural pronouns
Writing: writing poetry
RL4.4-determine the meaning of words.
RL4.7-comparing the book to a short presentation of the story
“A Little Magic”
“How did He Do That”
“So You Want to Be An Illusionist!”
Sentences: Vary the sentences. Include dialogue, questions, and exclamations.
summarize, inference, infer,
generalizations, noting facts
Compare and contrast.