The Great Kapok Tree
Unit 3.5 fantasy (BL3.8)
Unit 3.5 The Great Kapok Tree genre: fantasy
|Words to know-definitions:
- canopy: the very top layer of branches in forest trees
- dangle: to hang and swing loosely
- dappled: marked with spots; as the sun shown into the room, its shadows dappled the wall.
- fragrant: having or giving off a pleasing odor; my mom wore a perfume that had a nice fragrant to it.
- pollen: a fine yellowish powder released from the anthers of flowers. Grains of pollen carried by insects, wind etc., to the pistols of flowers fertilize them.
- Pollinate: to carry pollen from anthers to pistils; bring pollen to; Flowers are pollinated by bees, bats, wind, etc.
- slithered: moved with sliding motion
- wondrous: wonderful
Its (its tail)
To form the possessive of singular nouns – add an ‘s; to form the possessive of plural nouns – add only an apostrophe.
Examining graphic sources to further text meaning; and studying or noting word structure.
|Grammar tie ins:
Writing: writing poetry
RL4.4-determine the meaning of words.
RL4.7-comparing the book to a short presentation of the story
“The biggest Snake in the World”
“Living in a World of Green!”
poetry- thematic poems
summarize, inference, infer,
generalizations, noting facts
Word structure/word parts