|Unit 1.3 Grandfather’s Journey genre: Historical Fiction
|Words to know-definitions:
- amazed: surprised greatly; struck with sudden wonder; astounded
- bewildered: completely confused; puzzled
- homeland: country that is your home; your native land
- longed: to wish very much for, desired greatly
- sculptures: works of art made by carving, modeling, casting. Sculptures often stand in front of libraries or government buildings.
- still: to make quiet, or to become quiet.
- Towering: very high, or very tall; the building was towering high above the others.
|Spelling Words: long e, o sweet
Challenge Words Halloween, speedometer, underneath, seacoast, cocoa
|Spelling/Phonics: long vowels:
e: ee or ea o: oa, ow
*Looking at multiple meaning *words Recognizing author’s *purpose Noticing “voice” in writing.
|Grammar tie ins:
creating simple sentences with subjects and predicates.
postcards tech: online reference Sources
RL4.1-refer/site details RL4.3-story element
|Short Reads: “Moving to California!” “Becoming American” “Look at two Lands”
Writing Trait: Word choice, summary
|Explicit Vocabulary: summarize, inference, infer, compare, biography